The topographic survey shown here illustrates sludge deposition in a crude oil tank where no shell mounted mixers have been fitted. Sludge deposition is predictably fairly even across the entire tank floor. The position at which the inlet and export lines penetrate the tank shell reveals significantly lower sludge deposition at this point.
Where the oil lines enter and leave the tank, there is periodic turbulence as the tank is filled and emptied. The energy created by the filling and emptying process has the effect of resolubilising the sludge at this point into the fresh oil – we know this phenomenon as Sludge Resuspension.
It follows that if we could direct this turbulent energy across the entire tank floor, then all of the sludge on the floor of the tank could be resuspended into the overhead oil.
Regular resuspension or Routine Sludge Control, will maintain your tank in a sludge free condition throughout the entire storage cycle.
The BNI developed Solv8 submerged jet mixer (above left) provider the following Tank Owner Benefits:
- A tank in a sludge free condition at the end of the storage period.
- Tank cleaning becomes a predictable maintenance expense rather than a lottery at the end of the service period.
- Sludge deposition can be monitored on an annual basis throughout the storage period (limited topographic survey).
- Complies with the principals of IPPC (Integrated Pollution Prevention and Control).
- Improves earning potential of tank by $M’s by increasing trading opportunities.
- Life Cycle cost benefits in terms of material loss control
- Significantly reduced costs for tank cleaning and sludge treatment/disposal.
- Reduced environmental risk.
- Improved Health and Safety for personnel in preparing the tank for internal inspection
- Hazardous Waste minimisation
- Tank downtime reduced significantly during maintenance outage
- 100% tank utilisation throughout the storage period
- Improved crude oil dewatering
- Eliminate the problems associated with ‘Boil-over’ should a fire occur.
- Efficient product homogenisation
- Minimise internal corrosion
- Allows the tank owner to get on with more important issues while we take care of sludge management in your crude oil tanks